Teachinghearts
The Loving God Of The Old Testament
(In Defense of My Dearly Beloved Father)
"Explore the Word. Change the World"
 Home  | Contact  | Become a Christian  | Lessons  | 700+ New Messianic Prophecies  | Modern Science In The Bible
Father (The Old Testament God) Son (The New Testament God)
Blessing Curse Curses Nailed to the CrossConsumes The Earth No More Curse
Adam Sin Satan as Representative Crucifixion Jesus as Representative Raised Millennium Raised
Hell
Children of God
Creation Sold and Kidnapped Into Slavery Ransom Paid (Redeemed)Rest Promised Land
Perfection Rebellion Submission Obedience
Reproach • Genocide • Vengeful • Strict Loving • Forgiving • Merciful Truth • Justice • Reputation Restored

Pray Pray First
Navigation
> Genesis
> Exodus
> Leviticus
> Numbers
> Deuteronomy
> Joshua
> YHWH (YHVH)
> Saving Planet Earth
Resources
> Lessons
> Symbols
> Glossary
> Daniel
> Revelation
Study Help
> The Science Of Sin
> Job. Unjust Suffering
> Jesus Suffers
> Nailed To The Cross
> Ten Commandments
> God
> The Origin of Evil
Texts
> Genesis
Show Us The Father
Who is this much maligned God of the Old Testament? Philip asked the same question.
Show us the Father. Philip said to Him, "Lord, show us the Father, and it is enough for us". (John 14: 8)

The Father Is Like The Son (The Same Loving God)
Jesus responded with bewilderness. The Father is just like Me!!
The Father Is Like The Son. Jesus said to him, "Have I been so long with you, and yet you have not come to know Me, Philip? He who has seen Me has seen the Father; how can you say, 'Show us the Father'?" (John 14: 9)
Yes, How can we speak so unkindly about the God of the Old Testament and believe the lies about Him? If you want to see and know the God of the Old Testament, then look at Jesus.

Today we make a false dichotomy between the Hebrew God in the Old Testament and Jesus who was introduced to us in the New Testament. Many Christians speak disparagingly about the stories and laws of the Old Testament to the extent that some have even banished those old books and villified the God who inspired them.
Well the Jesus whom they claim to worship not only claims that He is the mirror image of the God in the Old Testament, He even claims to be THE God who introduced Himself to Moses. He is the God of the Old Testament who sent Himself to deliver Israel as Jesus!
I Am That I Am. Jesus said to them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was born, I am." (John 8: 58)
I Am That I Am. ... Now they may say to me, "What is His name? What shall I say to them?" God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM"; Thus you shall say to to the sons of Israel, "I AM has sent me to you." (Exodus 3: 13-14)

We Love Jesus
Many love Jesus more because He seemed to banish the cruel laws of the Old Testament and even herald a new attitude by God. However, the scriptures say that neither the God of the Old Testament nor Jesus changes.
God Does not Change. For I, the Lord do not change. Therefore, you sons of Jacob are not consumed. (Malachi 3: 6)
Jesus Never Changes. Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever. (Hebrews 13: 8)
No Variation In God. Every good thing given and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shifting shadow. (James 1: 17)
Unwavering. But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, reasonable, full of mercy and good fruits, unwavering, without hypocrisy. and the seed whose fruit is righteousness is sown in peace by those who make peace. (James 3: 17-18)

We Love The Teachings of Jesus
We love the nice, warm, fuzzy things that Jesus says. But everything He said was according to the laws and the will of the God of the Old Testament.

The Love Gospel?
In the book of John, Jesus expresses His desire to see the loving unity within the church that will reflect the unity and love that exists between Him and the Father. Our modern culture has redefined the meaning of "love", "loving" and "judging" to encapsulate an attitude towards sin in which we let the lethal infection spread while we happily watch with glazed eyes because it is not loving to be harsh and judgmental. The myth that the "loving" Jesus was tolerant of sin has gone viral among those who cherish sin. They cite the book of John as the "love" gospel that points to this character of God. However, John pictures a very contentious relationship with the people in that they tried to kill Him several times and He called them all sorts of names,

The Misconceptions About God
Why did we develop such harsh misconceptions about God? We have conveniently forgotten that the Bible teaches that we have an enemy who lives by no rules and respects no boundaries. We have consistently ascribed behavior to God that belongs to Satan because Satan is skilled at rumors and innuendoes and propaganda. Satan convinced many in heaven that he could be god and since he tried to tell the same lie to Eve he must have tried to convince others in heaven that they could also be God. How is that lie working out for you, evil angels?

The Case Against God
There are many stories about God's actions that do seem harsh.

The Case For God
Your criticism of God does not take into account the passage of time or the efforts made by God. Over a period of 4000 years, the number of stories of annhilation are rare and they are preceeded by warnings for hundreds of years.

The Problems Of God
Undeserved reproach has been heaped upon the God of the Old Testament by an enemy who was our legal representative for 4000 years. Other misconceptions about God are based on His apparent weakness and inabiliy to deal heavy handedly with sin. How does a powerful Being guarantee justice and fairness when He is under scrutiny?

The Character Of God
By Himself, God is guaranteeing to a hostile universe that the people of the earth can be saved. His holy character is revealed in His law.

And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose. (Romans 8: 28) Time: 170 minutes
Print: 33 pages
Copyright     First Created : 25 December 2010. Updated:
Author: Laverna Patterson. Editor: Patterson (December 2010)